Thursday, November 21, 2013

Make a Fresh Wreath for your Front Door~Tutorial

Hi Everyone,

It is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, Isn't it?  Most retailers have unpacked all their Christmas Goodies making it difficult not to get wrapped up in the Christmas Spirit.  I adore Christmas with all the traditions and yes all the decorating and cooking that comes with it.  We plan on hosting my parents this year in the Midwest and really I could not be more excited.  The girl's get to spend time with their Nana and Papa, playing with them after opening their presents and enjoying Nana's fabulous meals and traditional family recipes.
So since this is a treat for us to host our family during Christmas I plan on adding special Christmas touches around our home.  A great place to start is at the front door with a pretty wreath crafted from fresh greenery  with all the traditional elements.




Supplies Needed~

Branched Wreath.  I purchased mine from Michaels

Green Coned Cedar Boughs generally found at local nurseries.  I especially adore this greenery  
              since it has tiny brown seeds and  drapes so  nicely on the branched form.

Hot glue gun

Clippers

Mini Pinecones

Faux Red Berries

Green Moss attached with Spray Adhesive

Green Floral Wire



This is a relatively messy project, therefore I completed my wreath in the garage with white paper underneath my working surface for easy clean up.


I used spray adhesive to adhere the green moss {found at all craft stores} to the branch wreath.  This step is optional.  Personally, I wanted a few of the branches visible once the wreath was completed.

 
 
 
Clip off  sections and tightly wrap the wire at the stem.  Take another small branch with plenty of fullness and lay the greenery over the branches to conceal the bark.  Continue layering your branches in one direction around the entire circumference.
 


It will look like the image below once completed..  With wire wrap the leaves around the form to maintain a circular shape. 



Conceal wire with clusters of Faux Red Berries and mini pinecones.  I used hot glue to attach the berries and green floral wire to attach the mini pinecones.



Spritz the entire wreath adequately with fresh water.  I suggest removing the wreath from the door and spritzing with water every few days to maintain freshness.  I added a burlap ribbon and wrapped around the wreath at the top and hang from the door hanger.








Just an aside, the total cost for this fresh wreath was $25.00.  Pretty amazing I think!  It  pays sometimes to DIY.  Don't you think?

Thanks for reading my Friends.  Enjoy the rest of your week and have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

XOXO,
SK
 
 

 


Savvy Southern Style

2 comments:

  1. Im in IN and we had many tornados thru our area last Sun. We visited a local cemetery this week where my dad is buried. There were many spruce and fir trees braches and whole trees down in this big old beautiful cemetery. I collected some pieces with holiday decorating in mind so this tutorial will come in handy. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Sad about the Tornados through your area, however thankful you can make beautiful table settings, wreaths and such. Enjoy your DIY projects and have a lovely Thanksgiving.
      Sarah

      Delete